INTERNATIONAL DISTRICT 9780
History of Development
September, 1927, District 65 was established covering all of Australia, and
the Rotary Clubs of Geelong (chartered 19 October, 1925) and Ballarat (15
December, 1925) were part of it. The District Governor, Fred Birks, was from
the Rotary Club of Sydney, and held office for two years, 1927-28 and 1928-29.
During this period, the Rotary Clubs of Mount Gambier, Horsham, Ararat &
Warrnambool were chartered.
1930-31, a second district (76) was created, with our area remaining part of
District 65. Successive DGs came from the Rotary Clubs of Melbourne, Hobart, Perth, Ballarat
(Alfred J Pittard), Melbourne (Angus Mitchell), Adelaide,
Bendigo, and Hobart. The Rotary Clubs of Warracknabeal,
and Swan Hill were chartered.
Australiaís third district, 56, came with the
1938-1939 year, though District 65 remained for our area. Angus Mitchell was DG
again in 1938-39, followed by Rotarians from Colac (Louis O C Bayer), Unley,
Perth, Perth (same person), Hobart, Hobart (same person), and Warrnambool
(Horace I Holmes). Not surprisingly, given that these were the years of World
War 2, Portland
was the only one of our current clubs chartered in this period.
1946-1947, a fourth District, 64, was formed, and Holmes continued on to become
its first DG. He was followed by members of the Rotary Clubs of Perth, Perth (same person).
1949-1950 brought a complete re-organisation and re-numbering, with our area
falling into District 33, its first DG being Reginald R Etherington of Mildura.
Following District Governors came from Perth, Adelaide, Colac (Alan F
Drayton), Ballarat (Leslie F North), Unley, Hamilton (John L Kneebone), and
Horsham (Stewart F Brown).
ancestral path changed again in 1957-1958, with another re-organisation and
re-numbering, our area being split between Districts 250 and 280. The history
of our DGs and District numbers from this period on is set out on page 10 of
were the major growth period, with fifteen of the present 61 Clubs being
chartered in this era, followed by nine in the 1950ís, seven in the 1970ís and
2 more during the 2005-06 Rotary year.
dependence of this material on Seventy Five Years of Service by
Paul Henningham is gratefully acknowledged.)