This week's Program:
Jay Warren is an award winning journalist and communicator. He spent 20 years in broadcast news, the last 15 at the NBC affiliate in Roanoke, VA where he was the primary anchor and senior political reporter. His work has been recognized with a Walter Cronkite Award for Individual Achievement and national Peabody Award.
Jay, a proud graduate of TCU and Texas Tech, returned home in 2013 where he now serves at the Marketing Communications Manager for the City of Arlington and an adjunct instructor at Texas Christian University.
While at the City, his work has been recognized with more than two dozen state and national awards for their video production, branding, graphic design and website design.
Jay's program was on the City of Arlington's "Dream Team" - a digital Ambassador program to spread news and topics about Arlington. The program, launched by Mayor Jeff Williams, increases engagement with residents while also making them aware of events and news happenings in the community through social media accounts.
Here are the links to the Dream Team and Acts of Kindness programs Jay mentioned:
Be sure and download the "Ask Arlington" app on your smart phone!
February 2 Chaplain Rich Stoglin, U.S. Marine, Command Chaplain - UN Forces
Bring a Guest to this Meeting!
Want to see a particular speaker or do you want a particular subject matter presented? Do you know of anyone who has a program that might be of interest to our membership?
February 2 Debbie Hogan (1), J.P. Humphrey (2), John Hyde
February 9 Hollis Lackey (1), Craig Lidell (2), Richard Lucas
February 16 Chip May (1), Tom McGrew (2), Chris McLucas
February 23 Rick McVay (1), Don Mims (2), Curt Osiek
(1) Prayer & Pledge, (2) Introduce Visiting Rotarians and Guests
THE FINE PROGRAM SCHEDULE
February 2 Henry Armstrong
February 9 David Bryant
February 16 Dale Doak
February 23 Don Ferrell
THE MEMBERSHIP MINUTE SCHEDULE
February 2 David Berg
February 9 Chip May
February 16 Hollis Lackey
February 23 Mel Crosier
UPCOMING ROTARY EVENTS
February 3 S.T.E.M. Day, Adams Elementary
February 6 Sunrise Rotary Board Meeting, 7 a.m., David's BBQ
March 1 - 4 P.E.T.S. (President-Elect Training Series), Hyatt Regency, DFW
March 6 Sunrise Rotary Board Meeting, 7 a.m., David's BBQ
April 21-22 Sunrise Rotary "New" Board Retreat
April 28 Adoption Awareness Picnic, Fielder Church
May 5 Beer Olympics (See Mark Cloud)
May 11 - 13 Highland Games, Decatur, TX
May 12 Flag Program Workday - ALL HANDS ON DECK!
May 12 Highlands Rotary "Casino Night" fundraiser
May 19-20 District Conference, DFW Hyatt
May 26 Flag Day - Memorial Day - Display at 6:00 a.m.
May 29 Flag Day - Memorial Day - Pick up at 6:00 p.m.
June 14 Flag Day - Flag Day - Display at 6 a.m., Pick up at 6 p.m.
"PUBLIC RELATIONS" is a HOT TOPIC IN ROTARY
Please REPORT your "volunteer hours"!
One of this Rotary year's focuses is tracking the number of volunteer hours given by Rotarians. So, if you are a team captain, committee chairman, or merely a part of a group of people who perform a project or service, please send an email to Dwayne Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org
to report the number of volunteer hours expended so that we can report to Rotary International.
- Go to: https://www.rotaryeclubone.org/programs.htm and watch a video or read an article.
- Attend a Sunrise Rotary social event. (Christmas party and other Sunrise social gatherings)
- Work on a Sunrise Rotary project (flags,PhasedIn, Blood drive, Highland games, etc.)
- Attend a Sunrise Rotary Board meeting. (1st Tuesday, 7:00 a.m., David's BBQ)
- If you're in a travel status, get the Rotary Club Finder app for your smartphone and find a Club in/near the town you are visiting - even outside of the United States!
- Attend another local Rotary Club meeting. There are seven other Rotary Clubs in Arlington that you can make up at. Here's a list of them:
- Arlington North Rotary, Monday at Noon, Texas Land & Cattle, N. Arlington
- Arlington West Rotary, Tuesday at Noon, Shady Valley Golf Club
- Arlington Highlands Rotary, Tuesday at 6 p.m., Dave & Busters in the Highlands
- Arlington Sunset Rotary, Tuesday at 6 p.m., J. Gilligan's on E. Abram
- Arlington Rotary, Thursday at Noon, 1st United Methodist Church
- Arlington Great Southwest Rotary, Thursday at 6 p.m., Humperdink's @ 6 Flags
- Arlington South Rotary, Friday at Noon, Spring Creek BBQ, S. Cooper
Here's the catch:
You literally have a whole month in order to work your "make up" into your busy schedule - within 2 weeks prior to the meeting you will miss and within 2 weeks after the meeting you miss.
So you see, there really is no valid excuse
for you not having PERFECT ATTENDANCE.
But there is one major step to ensure your make-up is validated - you must report it to Club Secretary Sheri Hall at
ARLINGTON SUNRISE ROTARY
BOARD OF DIRECTORS, 2017-2018
President Steve Dixon
President Elect Shane Ferrell
Secretary Sheri Hall
Treasurer Jonathan Januta
Membership Don Ferrell
Sargent-at-Arms James Watson
Administration Dwayne Lee
Community Services 1 Sam Thomas
Community Services 2 Alan Walter
Youth Services Mark Cloud
Vocational Services Kevin Barlow
Foundation Chip May
International Services Samir Ahuja
Special Programs Cindy Wright